A number of WordPress that we manage have been “losing” the custom 301 directives that we or our clients have been putting into the .htaccess file. This has been a very random and disconcerting issue.
Recently, we discovered that this was happening whenever someone saved the Permalinks Settings in WordPress.
Alternative solution? Make the file read-only until you need to edit it again. Or at least set up the permissions so that the webserver can’t overwrite the file. Problem solved…
In most cases this means setting the permissions on this file to 660 or 644 as described in this Codex article.
At Over The Top and Exhibit A Communications, I've programmed solutions for Google as well as at least one other company that was later acquired by Google.
I've been CTO of an Internet SaaS company and spent my time pretty evenly between guiding the future technical strategy of the company, architecting software solutions for my dev teams, designing and running a data center to service our clients world-wide as well as being a technical evangalist/sales engineer to our media clients large and small.
I've also been Chief Photographer of the Daily Sun/Post newspaper back when it was a 5-day a week daily newspaper.
I also spent a great many years as a beach lifeguardfor the City of San Clemente as well as Jr. Lifeguard instructor and then as it's program coordinator.
Private Pilot with Instrument rating and proud husband of soon to be 25 years (and counting).