I recently upgraded my development laptop from Vista (with a failing hard drive) to Windows 7 with a smoking fast Hitatchi 500Gb 7200k drive. I’ve been totally stoked with the perfomance increase (especially boot speeds) so far.
I’ve working through a number of issues getting IIS and VisualStudio playing nice together when I ran into a couple of problems that I didn’t find resolutions for easily online so I figured I should blog them out.
Problem 1: “HTTP Error 500.52 – URL Rewrite Module Error” thrown whenever trying to launch website locally. The cryptic error message stated that “The configuration section "’system.webserver/rewrite/outboundrules’ cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration.”
Well, that just couldn’t be since I wasn’t running any URL Rewrite rules. I HAD however, installed the IIS URL Rewrite Module 2 from the Web Platform Installer. While trolling Google and various message boards I found an off-hand mention from someone who stated he fixed it by running a repair on the module. So, after a quick trip to Programs and Features I selected the module in question and clicked on Repair and voila, it all worked!
Well, not quite, my standard ASP.NET sites were working but not AspDotNetStorefront websites (where I spend most of my time these days).
Of course, our customer sites are running in 32bit mode so we opted to buy the less expensive 32big version for them. And since previously I was developing on a 32bit OS, I would never have seen this error before.
A few quick searches lead me to a number of different postings including:
I tried the suggested ASPDNSF approach to fixing this but discovered that I didn’t have the adminscripts installed. Hmmmm…
Looking at the M$ support site, it seemed to be talking about the asp.net state service not running in a mixed mode (32bit/64bit) system which wasn’t exactly the problem. Their solution relied upon running the adsutil.vbs script to set the AppPools, which of course I didn’t have. It also suggested re-registering the 64-bit version of ASP.NET 2.0 so I did that:
Finished installing ASP.NET (2.0.50727).
That didn’t solve the problem but I figured, all those adsutil.vbs utilities were doing was setting a configuration option so, on the off-chance that the newest IIS Mangler, mean Manager would expose that property I went into the Application Pools and under Actions selected “Set Application Pool Defaults”. And there it was… “Enable 32-Bit Applications” was set to False. Flipping that over to True allowed the AspDotNetStorefront DLLs run in 32bit mode.
Ah, I love it when a plan comes together. Ok, eventually it did.
At Over The Top and Exhibit A Communications, I've programmed solutions for Google as well as at least one other company that was later acquired by Google.
I've been CTO of an Internet SaaS company and spent my time pretty evenly between guiding the future technical strategy of the company, architecting software solutions for my dev teams, designing and running a data center to service our clients world-wide as well as being a technical evangalist/sales engineer to our media clients large and small.
I've also been Chief Photographer of the Daily Sun/Post newspaper back when it was a 5-day a week daily newspaper.
I also spent a great many years as a beach lifeguardfor the City of San Clemente as well as Jr. Lifeguard instructor and then as it's program coordinator.
Private Pilot with Instrument rating and proud husband of soon to be 25 years (and counting).